Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Next stop, Diabetesville!

I am very prone to episodes of low blood sugar (or hypoglycaemia). I’m pretty sure this is due to my weight gain and my diet over the past few years. I'm well on my way to being a diabetic already. I'm probably already there.

Diabetes terrifies me. It is a horrendous disease and, in a way, type 2 diabetes is worse, because it is purely lifestyle induced and totally preventable. Yet many people still let it happen. I’ve known people who have been diagnosed with diabetes, only to get bigger and bigger, go blind, lose their feet, become bed ridden and die. I simply can’t let this happen to me. I have to stop my addiction to food or I will lose my life. My current lifestyle is not compatible with a quality existence.

Stopping, however, is not as easy as it seems. Now that I’ve let myself get to this state, getting out is much more problematic than it was at 80kg, or even 90kg. Now that I get low blood sugar attacks, changing my diet is much more difficult. If I eat breakfast at 7am, I’m shaky and headachy with low blood sugar by 10am and need to eat again. When I exercise, I can’t go more than an hour and a half without an attack. This includes low GI foods. My body has become so accustomed to junk food and frequent binging, that when I try to stop, my body thinks that it’s starving and forces me to eat by dropping my blood sugar.


I once tried Reductil (Meridia), and it did help suppress my appetite, however, I couldn’t tell when my blood sugar was getting low and it ended up hitting me like a tonne of bricks suddenly. I quickly became lethargic, confused, angry and started slurring my words, I also nearly lost consciousness. It was like being on a really bad high, luckily my husband was home and had the presence of mind to make me eat something.

So my new years resolution, is to get my blood sugar under control. Starting with a doctors appointment ASAP

xx Pandy

“To preserve health is a moral and religious duty, for health is the basis of all social virtues. We can no longer be useful when we are not well.” -- Samuel Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment